"I saw you first" Sermon for 14 January 2018

“I saw you first”

Sermon for Sunday 14 January 2018
2nd Sunday after Epiphany

The Rev. Carrie Ballenger Smith

Lutheran Church of the Redeemer

John 1:43-51 


The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.


I will begin this sermon today with a story about my favorite nativity scene.

Listen, I know Christmas is over. I know we have moved well beyond the nativity story in the church calendar, and that most of you, who are sensible, have taken down the tree and the lights many days ago.

But the truth is, it is 100% Christmas in my house still to this day. This is mostly because I have been living and breathing the details of the new Bishop’s consecration for the last few weeks, so there’s been no time at all to “de-Christmas” the house. It’s also because I love Christmas, and for the past few years that I’ve lived here, I’ve happily used the excuse that in Jerusalem, Christmas lasts until the Armenians celebrate on January 19!

In any case, I want to tell you that my favorite nativity was made by the Catholic sisters at Beit Gimal. It features the usual characters: Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus. But in this one, Mother Mary is lying down, her arm outstretched, and the infant Jesus is lying next to her, as if nursing. Joseph is sitting behind them, looking on tenderly. I love this particular image so much, because it depicts Jesus as a real baby and Mary as a real mom. These could be church members. This could be me and my own infant son. For me, this portrays the essence of incarnation—God made flesh—and I love it. The truth is, I would probably be a Christian even if the only part of the story I ever heard was the chapter that takes place in Bethlehem. I would be a Christian even if all the Good News I ever heard is that God the Creator was born of a human mother and laid in a manger, that he took on our human frailties and was found in human skin. Christmas is enough of a miracle to ignite the mystery of faith in me!

A few years ago, I posted a photo of this lovely nativity set on my Facebook page, and was shocked to see that among the positive comments was one from an online friend (who happened to be Palestinian. He said: “This is horrible! What is our world coming to! We should not see Jesus like this.”

Let me tell you, was so confused. What did he mean, we shouldn’t see Jesus like this? Jesus was a baby! He had a mother! You don’t think he ever needed to eat?!

This incident so disturbed me that I mentioned it to my Palestinian bishop. But I was only about halfway through my impassioned story when he nodded his head and agreed, “That’s right, we really don’t need to see Jesus and his mother that way.”

Well, this shut me up for a bit. But not long ago (during the actual Christmas season), I showed off this nativity scene for a third time, in the presence of another (hopefully more sympathetic) Palestinian friend. And again, much to my surprise, she admitted “Yeah, I don’t really feel comfortable with seeing Jesus in that way.”

This time, I thought to ask the question: So, what does your Jesus look like?

And she said: “Well, a bit more glorious. A bit more “You may think you’re the king, but I’m victorious.”

Where my breastfeeding baby Jesus reflects and sanctifies a sense of my own frail humanity, her King Jesus reigns over the mess of the occupation, and of this world, and never breaks a sweat. Her Palestinian Jesus is less “Babies R Us” and more “Badasses R Us.”

In the end, we both know and love the same Jesus—but it seems we saw him on different days! Amen!

Dear friends, I know that you’ve heard, and have been taught, that there is just one Savior, one who looks like whatever the dominant culture is where you are from, and who possesses the same political positions as your leaders, and who eerily resembles the mega-church pastor in your community.

But I’m here to tell you that Jesus is the Living God. Jesus of Nazareth, born of Mary in Bethlehem, defies our limits. Jesus challenges our assumptions and shatters our prejudices. He is the baby at Mary’s breast and the suffering one on the cross and the one who, through the power of love, has triumphed over sin, death, and occupation. Jesus Christ is the Beginning and the End, the Alpha and the Omega; he is the one the world has been waiting for, and always exactly who we need to see! Amen!

Which brings me to today’s Gospel reading, in which Philip tells Nathanael that he’s found “him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth.” When Nathanael asks, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” Philip answers, “Come and See!”

Philip invited Nathanael to come and see Jesus for himself, even though Nathanael thought he knew something about this “Jesus” already.
Here’s what Nathanael thought he knew:

The Messiah is the good guy the whole world has been waiting for.
And nothing good ever comes out of a “shithole” town like Nazareth.

But Philip said: “Come and see! Come and meet this guy. Really.”  

Scripture tells us that when Nathanael did meet Jesus, Jesus said to him right away, ““Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!”
Nathanael asked him, “Where did you get to know me?”
And Jesus answered, “I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you.”

I saw you, and I knew you, before you ever saw me, said Jesus.

And Nathanael responded: “Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!”

Now, we don’t know much about Nathanael, but Nathanael’s instant emotional response to being “known” and seen feels so familiar to me. Nathanael sounds like me. He sounds like one of my kids He sounds like a third-culture kid, a global nomad. Maybe he was like some of our kids, who don’t have any friends who have known him forever.

I don’t know if this is true about Nathanael, but it seems clear that being seen, and being known, was exactly what Nathanael needed in order to believe. It was exactly what his heart required in order to follow.

Dear sisters and brothers, in this season after Epiphany, we will hear many stories of Jesus and his love being manifested in the world. We’ll hear of his ministry and his teaching, of healings and meals with sinners and outcasts. This is the season when we, along with the disciples, get to see and to know Jesus before he makes the journey to Jerusalem and the cross.

But this morning, it seems important for us to hear that first, he has seen us. First, he knows us. Jesus has said to each of us, with arms outstretched:

I saw you when you were behind the wall and losing hope.
I saw you when the patriarchy was grinding you down.
I saw you when you were fleeing your home country.
I saw you when you were gaining strength to leave that bad relationship.
I saw you when you relapsed, and when you denied the truth about yourself, and even when you hurt the ones you love the most.
I saw you in your joys and in your sorrows, on your worst days and your best.
I saw you before you were invited to follow!
I saw you before you were born.
And I love you!

For as it is written:

“Lord, you have searched me out; O Lord, you have known me.
You know my sitting down and my rising up; you discern my thoughts from afar.” (Psalm 139)

And again: “But God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)

Dear friends, the one who says “follow me” has seen us, has known us, and has loved us, since the beginning, and loves us to the end. Therefore, we may follow boldly, and in confidence, the One who knows us best.

Let us pray:

God, you know us better than we know ourselves.
You know our thoughts,
our weaknesses,
our motivations,
our sins.
And you love us still.
Forgive us when we don’t believe such love is true or possible;
When we wonder how You could love us just as we are,
when we forget our intricate construction,
fearfully,
wonderfully made,
in Your image!
Remove from our minds every thought which keeps us from you.
Break down the walls,
push aside the pride,
and help us to trust anew.
You know our hearts.
And you love us still.
Therefore strengthen us to be your disciples,
Loving others as you have loved us,
To the end.
Amen.


(Prayer slightly adapted from All Things New, written by Rev. Susan A. Blain and Rev. Scott Ressman. Posted on the United Church ofChrist website.) 

Comments